Instead of participating in the Monthly Rewind meme, every three months I’ll update the world on my life from the previous season. Enjoy the Seasonal Rewind!
Through the Lens
Timekeeper ARCs became available and I was super excited to receive them in the mail! My friend Audra had a lovely wedding reception after she and her husband returned from their private ceremony/honeymoon trip. This was taken while we wandered around an old, lovely neighborhood for official pictures. And finally, the symphony played the score to Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone while we watched the movie. Such a blast!
I covered a lot of topics in my If We Were Having Coffee post, so check that out first! Otherwise, the latest news: I welcomed a new client to Team Triada in late September and had a fantastic time at lunch with her while she was vacationing in the Midwest. And, speaking of agenting, Tara not only received a fantastic blurb from Victoria Schwab, but some great reviews from Publishers Weekly and School Library Journal! There’s also an excerpt from the first chapter up on Bustle!
Tunes on Repeat
I’ve listened to more Radio Lab and NPR shows than music this summer. However, I did listen to the whole Rachmaninoff Vespers, sang the version of Jerusalem that was performed in the Royal Wedding, and started rocking out to The Nutcracker in the car. Will these count?
Bookmarked in the Community
- If We Were Having Mexican Margaritas @ Bring My Books — In the same vein as the If We Were Having Coffee posts, Lindsey opens up on her blog in a fun way. Bring your chips and queso!
- The YA Sorting Hat: Back to Hogwarts @ Writer of Wrongs — Gillian always has some creative posts, and this one was (of course) my favorite kind. How would you Sort any of your favorite books?
- What Does Your Favorite Book Say About You? @ Huffington Post — An interesting read.
- Do You Have Book Guilt? @ Wall Street Journal — At first I thought this article was going to be about the inability to finish all the books you want to read, or buying lots of books and not reading, but nope! It was about feeling guilty for not reading classics. Reading a classic is different from reading a modern book — it is meant to be savored, not devoured. Dive in to the article and see what others have to say!
Popular Posts on Scribbles
- If We Were Having Coffee – so pleased to see the enthusiasm for this post! I rarely write up anything personal outside of these rewinds, so I’ll probably do this kind of post more often.
- Book Review: “The Lie Tree” by Francis Hardinge – YES COME TO THE DARK SIDE. It’s so much more thrilling!
- Book Review: “My Lady Jane” by Hand, Ashton, Meadows – Genuinely not surprised this received so many hits. If I had to name a book of the summer, it would be this Monty Python-esque YA!
Ghostly Echoes by William Ritter ★★★★
The Gilded Cage by Lucinda Gray ★★★.75
First & Then by Emma Mills ★★★★
“Bertram!” Jackaby patted him on the arm affably as he bustled
past him into the front hall. “It’s been ages, how are the kids?”
“I remain unmarried, Mr. Jackaby, and I’m afraid you can’t be seen just now.”
“Nonsense. Miss Rook, can you see me?”
“Well, there you have it. You must have your eyes checked, Bertram.”
—Ghostly Echoes by William Ritter
I don’t know if it’s better to have people laugh at what you are
or just not understand.
—The Girl Who Fell From the Sky by Heidi Durrow
Progress Update on Reading Challenges
Library Books: 9 / 10
Future Perfect || Blackhearts || Rebel of the Sands
The Buddha in the Attic || Wide Sargasso Sea || Re Jane
The Elegance of the Hedgehog || The Girl Who Fell from the Sky
The Gilded Cage
#ReRead2016: 2 / 5
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix || Emma
Flights of Fantasy: 6 / 5 // complete!
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix || Rebel of the Sands
Lady Renegades || The Star-Touched Queen || Assassin’s Apprentice
My Lady Jane
Classics Challenge: 1 / 5
Rock My TBR: 13 / 12 // complete!
Walk on Earth a Stranger || Arsenic for Tea || Since You’ve Been Gone
Picture Perfect || Twenties Girl || Remember Me? || Assassin’s Apprentice
Eligible || The Mystery of the Clockwork Sparrow || 13 Little Blue Envelopes
Scarlett Epstein Hates it Here || Me Before You || First & Then
Impulse Buys: 5 / 5 // no more buying!
Can You Keep a Secret? || I’ve Got Your Number || The Undomestic Goddess
My Lady Jane || The Hating Game
Overall Challenge: 42 / 50
On TV: YOU GUYS. Big Bang is back, as is Poldark! I also watched a lot of Olympics this summer (who didn’t?). Of course I hissed and groaned when an athlete wasn’t perfect, because that’s what you do when you’re a couch potato who doesn’t want to acknowledge the fact you have no athletic abilities whatsoever. *wink*
On Film: The Beau and I saw a lot of movies, one of them The Light Between Oceans. No, I haven’t read the book yet *gasp* but I did enjoy the film. My favorite soundtrack composer, Alexandra Desplat, worked on this film, too. At the end, the Beau turned to me and said, “If we find a baby in the ocean, we’re reporting it immediately.” Had to laugh at that.
In the Shopping Bag: Not much shopping this summer, though in the last few weeks I’ve started buying a lot of autumn decor. And now ModCloth has autumn apparel online, so you know I’m going gaga over that…
Miscellaneous: I don’t know if this is a local brewery or a national chain, but I’ve been going to Hopcat more and more just because I’m obsessed with their crack fries. YUM.
Looking Towards the Future
In October, I’m going to see Into the Woods with Mom for her birthday, and we’re both very excited about this! A huge group of friends are going to see Star Wars and Fantastic Beasts, too. It’s prime awesome-movies-time! And of course, Thanksgiving and Christmas are holidays to look forward to, as well as all the Christmas concerts and festivities. It’s the most wonderful time of the year!
What have you been up to this season / this month? Any new obsessions or good reads or great music? Share some of your favorites here, and let me know if I should check out any great blog posts!
4 thoughts on “Flipping Through the Pages: Summer Rewind 2016”
Ahhh I’m reading Timekeeper right now and all the hype is so very deserved, it’s so nice! Totally didn’t realize you’re her agent, congrats to you both! ❤
AHHH I hope you continue to love it! I adore Tara’s writing and am so happy to share it with the world.
Alexa S. (@alexalovesbooks)
I love reading your seasonal updates! It sounds like you’ve had a busy summer, but also found time to squeeze in some relaxing and some fun 😉
Thanks! Glad you like them 🙂