Instead of participating in the Monthly Rewind meme, every three months I’ll update the world on my life from the previous season. Enjoy the Seasonal Rewind!
Through the Lens
There is nothing more beautiful than history standing the test of time. The choir I’m in went on tour to Germany, with visits to Prague and Salzburg. After the tour, I flew to London and stayed with my college roommate and her husband. One of the days in England I traveled up to Haworth to visit the Bronte Parsonage. June was a fantastic month! (L to R: Castle Church in Wittenberg, Prague Old Town, Bronte Parsonage)
Hold on tight. CAPSLOCK!Laura heading straight for you…
I SOLD AN AMAZING BOOK TO AN AMAZING EDITOR FOR AN AMAZING DEAL!
I left bookselling and RETURNED TO MY LIBRARIAN ROOTS! I now work for an amazing library in town and am absolutely thrilled to be there.
SEEING MY FRIENDS AT BOOK EXPO AMERICA WAS THE BEST
Followed by a wonderful trip back to the Motherlands (my true one, Germany, and the one of my mind, heart, soul, body, and spirit, ENGLAND)!
Tunes on Repeat
I had no idea I needed The 16 in my life till a friend posted this on my FB page. What a glorious, GLORIOUS sound. My choral nerd self is dying over here.
Whenever I go to a public place to use their wifi for work, I immediately search Spotify for some good instrumental music in the background. I’m constantly coming back to Ludovico Einaudi and Angele Dubeau.
To be honest, the majority of music I listened to the past three months were choral pieces. Part of it was in preparation for the choir trip. It was nice to dive back into that world.
Bookmarked in the Community
- Adventures in the Great Wide Somewhere @ Belle of the Literati — I’ve thoroughly enjoyed Kelly’s new travel and wanderlust feature. She shares experiences from her travels, tips, dos and don’ts, and places she’s eager to visit in the future.
- Harry Potter at 30 @ Perpetual Page-Turner — Massive round of applause to Jamie for reading Harry Potter for the first time! She shares some interesting insights, too!
- Do You Procrastinate Reading Books You’re 99% Sure You’ll Love? @ Paper Fury — Cait voiced something many readers have surely come across before: the strange habit of not reading a book you’re positive you’ll adore. She lists several potential reasons for this thought process. What’s yours?
- Celebrate Charlotte Bronte’s Birthday by Reading Villette @ The Pool — This year marks the 200th birthday of Charlotte Bronte, and Samantha Ellis has a few words to say on why you should read the other, angry-sister-to-Jane–Eyre classic, Villette.
Popular Posts on Scribbles
- Deal Announcement: Jared Reck, YA Contemporary — Add this book to your Goodreads TBR!
- That One Time I Binged on Kinsella, Part Two — Part One was a hit in the last rewind! So glad you enjoyed the posts.
- Book Review: “When We Collided” by Emery Lord — Such an important read. Different from Lord’s other books in a great way.
- Book Expo America 2016: A Chicago Experience — My second BEA was a success in many ways, though hosting it in Chicago had its pros and cons.
When We Collided by Emery Lord ★★★★.5
Traitor Angels by Anne Blankman ★★★★★
Re Jane by Patricia Park ★★★★
The Lie Tree by Francis Hardinge ★★★★★ (review to come!)
“I want to lie beside you and know the weight of your dreams,” he said,
brushing his lips against my knuckles. “I want to share whole worlds with you
and write your name in the stars.” He moved closer and a chorus of songbirds
twittered silver melodies. “I want to measure eternity with your laughter.”
–The Star-Touched Queen by Roshani Chokshi
I have since come to know that many men always see
another’s good fortune as a slight to themselves.
—Assassin’s Apprentice by Robin Hobb
“For Signor Galilei’s sake, I’ll always despise the machinery of religion.”
I nearly dropped the telescope. “You despise God?”
He let out a pent-up breath. “I hate when people twist religion to
suit their own purposes or force others to believe what they do.”
—Traitor Angels by Anne Blankman
“You know what I think? I think you’re not really in love with Chandler. You’re just grateful he loves you.”
–Re Jane by Patricia Park
Progress Update on Reading Challenges
Library Books: 6 / 10
Future Perfect || Blackhearts || Rebel of the Sands
The Buddha in the Attic || Wide Sargasso Sea || Re Jane
#ReRead2016: 2 / 5
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix || Emma
Flights of Fantasy: 5 / 5 // complete!
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix || Rebel of the Sands
Lady Renegades || The Star-Touched Queen || Assassin’s Apprentice
Classics Challenge: 1 / 5
Rock My TBR: 11 / 12
Walk on Earth a Stranger || Arsenic for Tea || Since You’ve Been Gone
Picture Perfect || Twenties Girl || Remember Me? || Assassin’s Apprentice
Eligible || The Mystery of the Clockwork Sparrow || 13 Little Blue Envelopes
Scarlett Epstein Hates it Here
Impulse Buys: 3 / 5
Can You Keep a Secret? || I’ve Got Your Number || The Undomestic Goddess
Overall Challenge: 31 / 50
On TV: OUTLANDER IS BAAAAACK.
And all the castle documentaries on Netflix. Have you seen the wonderful Dan Jones on Secrets of Great British Castles yet? No? DO IT NOW.
On Film: CIVIL WAAARRRRR.
In the Shopping Bag: EVERYTHING FROM EUROPE. I went a little nuts in London and bought 17 books…and lots of silver Mozartkugels in Salzburg. Chocolate and books — what a life.
Miscellaneous: Not much to mention here. All of my time and energy was spent on work and preparing for travel (then traveling). But I have been watching an obscene amount of TV the last few months, so let’s stick with that!
Looking Towards the Future
My life calms down a bit for the rest of the year. So far I know July through September will include family gatherings, a friend from college’s wedding, and Amanda’s precious baby girl’s baptism. After the year I’ve had, I think a calmer summer is just the thing I need!
What have you been up to this season / this month? Any new obsessions or good reads or great music? Share some of your favorites here, and let me know if I should check out any great blog posts!
5 thoughts on “Flipping Through the Pages: Spring Rewind 2016”
Cait @ Paper Fury
Omg congrats on landing that deal for your client!! THAT’S SUPER EXCITING. And yay for being a librarian again!! Sounds like you had an incredibly happily successful month there. ;D Also thanks for sharing the link to my post!
Alexa S. (@alexalovesbooks)
I’ve loved seeing all of your travel photos! I’ve been living vicariously through them 😉 Congratulations on that awesome deal for your client. He’s lucky to have you. And yay for a busy, productive, fun spring!
Ha, I do the same when others travel. Check up on all the photos and all their updates. It’s fun!
Thank you very much!
I love everything about this, but HOLD THE PHONE. Endeavor season 3 is finally out?!
HOLD THE PHONE (hahaha I used to say this all the time — I need to start using it again! So funny!) — IT SURE IS!