Top Ten Tuesday, a concept started by The Broke and the Bookish, is a themed post that connects bloggers to bloggers, bloggers to readers, and readers to readers. Every Tuesday has a special topic, and this Tuesday is Top Ten Book-Related Problems I Have.
Oh, must it only be ten? This is why I created resolutions!
- I buy books when I have more at home to read. I mean, seriously, let’s get cracking on the books I own and haven’t read yet before spending money on new ones.
- I sniff books and touch the spines of those I own and love. I can’t help it. I try not to do this when other people are around, but I know I’m not alone in this. Just the other day, I caught a customer in the store with their nose literally shoved in the middle of the new Sarah Addison Allen book.
- When I borrow from the library, I borrow more than I can read. It’s just like going to the bookstore. I walk in, see ten books I want to read, think I can read all ten in three weeks, and end up only reading two!
- Constantly running out of shelf space. I don’t see this as a bad thing. Just that I need to get another bookcase. And a larger room to put the bookcase. And forge on with the Beauty & the Beast library dream.
- The Beauty & the Beast library dream. Nothing can compare.
- I don’t like packing books. Not because it can be a pain to pack and haul and unpack in the moving process, but because it feels strange putting them inside cardboard boxes and out of sight, no matter how short the time frame.
- I want to go to ALL THE BOOK EVENTS. BEA, YALLfest, YALLwest, author signings, writers’ conferences, book tours, you name it and I want to be there. The problem? Hotel fee, food, travel expenses. Why must things cost money? Why can’t my smile take me places for free? (I’m only slightly kidding.)
- When I’m off Twitter for a day, I feel disconnected. Twitter keeps me updated on authors, publishers, editors, bloggers, all things books. If I’ve gone a full day away from it I feel like I’ve missed out on an online inside joke or first-hand news source. (It pays to be friends with a handful of bloggers who always manage to link you up with the latest news. Looking at you, Lindsey, Morgan, Stacey, and Hannah!)
- The internal fight of re-reading versus reading something new. Thank goodness this little blogger has an excuse with Hannah’s #ReRead2015 challenge! Sometimes blogging can feel overwhelming, like a pressure to read the newest and most-anticipated books. Honestly, it comes down to not being able to decide what to read next.
- There is always a book within an arm’s reach. A Nook in my purse, a book at my bedside table, a book on the couch, and an emergency read in the car. Even if I’ll never get a chance to read when I’m out and about, there’s always a book with my cell phone and chapstick.
What are some of your book-related problems?
34 thoughts on “Top Ten Tuesday: Book-Related Problems”
Haha. My mother always borrows too much from the library. I think it’s just in case she doesn’t like something or can’t get into a certain book, she’s always got options! And let’s face it, you can always renew it if you get stuck… To be honest I have all kinds of things on my Ereader I haven’t read yet, but there for ‘just in case’.
Me too — I have maybe 10 new books on my ereader that are for “when I’m traveling” or “when I’ve left a book at home,” and yet…
Well, honestly, we have exactly the same problems. I thought I was alone in this, but I’m happy I was proven wrong
Always a nice thing to know you’re not alone!
Amazing list! I can relate to all of these:)
I always buy books even though I’ve got some waiting for me at home! I somehow keep adding to my endless TBR pile without intending too…;)
Who doesn’t love to smell a book?:P There are actually candles inspired by the smell of a library and coffee:D
“Having fun isn’t hard, when you’ve got a library card”– I love that gif! I always borrow too much from the library and never finish in time for when I need to return all of them:( I almost wish I had super fast reading abilities!
My jaw dropped when I saw the Beauty and the Beast library dream because woooooowwww… I want that!</3
Haha! Joey's move in the scissor, paper, stone gif;)
Ahhh so many struggles for a bookaholic- but its always worth it;)
Do you also talk to yourself in bookstores, like “you don’t need this book right now, you’ve got 9847582 more at home to read first”? Happens to me all the time. Booksellers have caught me staring at two books, debating which one to get.
Joey’s the best 😉
Yes, book struggles are always always always worth it!
I have the exact same problems…I always get asked if I need a bag when I leave the library.
I think my weirdest book problem turned up when I didn’t have a space next to my bed to keep my nighttime book. I’d fall asleep on my books, which would make sleep rough, especially as I mostly read hardcovers. Back in college (and I still feel awful about this), I slept on a top bunk and on one occasion, two hardback books fell through the gap between the bunk and the wall, and landed smack dab on my poor roommate’s face! She got a black eye. I bought a book holder thing you stick in the mattress.
OMG your college story cracked me up. My elementary school friend was my roommate all four years of college, and she knew our freshman year that I balanced books on the bed post. Well, our sophomore year, one of our roommate rules (this was the year we bunked and I was the top) was that I would never ever rest a book on that post. I had to sleep with it. Period. Haha.
“Never ever rest a book on a bunk bed post” should totally be a permanent roommate rule when book nerds are involved. I bet my roommate wishes she’d thought of it first. 🙂
Tiffany @ Avid Reader
The Beast’s library is totally worth being locked up with a crazy beast for months on end. I’d have stayed too, all he would have had to do was show me that room.
YES YES YES. YES.
Are you, by any chance, going to YALLWEST this April?!?!
Unfortunately not. I’m traveling a lot in March and May (BEA will be one of the events then), but don’t have the means to attend YALLWest as well. Hopefully YALLFest in the fall!
I LOVE book sniffing too!!! I also get way too excited at the library and get out too many books, and then don’t read them all, and then forget to return them, and then end up with massive fines! Life is tough as a book worm! 🙂
Hahaha Jamie (@ Perpetual Page-Turner) said something about library fines. She said the only way her library stays open is because she has to pay so many overdue fines to them, haha. Life sure is tough (in the best way)!
Books & Iced Coffee (@elyssamesias)
I am so guilty of a lot of the things on here especially sniffing my books and borrowing more than I can read from the library 😀 There’s just something about the smell of books and holding books that you have yet to own. It brings a whole new flow of internal goodness like the world is all good…
Sorry for the weirdness ^_^ #booknerdproblems #booknerdreality
Never apologize for weirdness, especially bookish kinds!
Books, Tea & Me
All of this. Everything. (Except for the Twitter part because I’m rarely on that thing.) But I feel like every bookworm/book blogger can relate to these. Why must it be so hard to be a bookworm?
An excellent question we may never know the answer to!
Alex @ Seagulls and Semantics
Oh God, I am such a bad spine stroker. I just stand in book stores and pet all the books I love. I won’t be a crazy cat lady when I’m older – I will be a crazy book lady.
Beauty and the Beast! YES! Every other library seems like a let down after that one. I figure that I should aim for a ladder in my personal library, and after that I’ll work toward stairs, etc etc.
p.s. one of these days I WILL make it to BEA
p.p.s. that Arthur gif makes me so happy
A ladder first, then stairs. Baby steps! One day the dream may come true!
BEA: A Bookworm’s Mecca.
I love Arthur ❤
I have a rule where i’m not supposed to check out more than i returned at the library, and i do stick to it, mostly, kinda, a few times… :]
My Top 10 :]
That’s a good rule. I should probably enact something like that…
I don’t re-read a lot but I need to! I also want to go to all of the book events but hopefully next year, I’ll have enough money to go to at least one of them! Thanks for stopping by my TTT earlier!
And I stopped re-reading when I started blogging a couple years ago. But this year when Hannah @ So Obsessed With started talking about her ReRead2015 Challenge, I was all in. Can’t wait to revisit some of my favorites!
Live, Love, Read
I seriously have a problem with giving inanimate objects feelings and emotions. Hahahaha. MY books look sad when I pack them away. =( Then I feel bad and buy another bookshelf so they can look pretty. I treasure my books WAYYYYY too much!
Me too! And I don’t like seeing them stacked sideways or doubled up or piling on the floor. They’re meant to be read and loved displayed…
Do you name inanimate objects too? Like your phone, laptop, car… (Cause I do. Owen is my laptop, Emmy my cell, Fairfax (Edward Fairfax Rochester) my ereader, haha.)
Live, Love, Read
Hahaha only my car, which is either Marsha or Shexy (Sexy with a sexy accent). My GPS is Gertie! But I always feel so bad! I’m like, “I’m sorry guys!!!” every time I feel like I’m inconveniencing an inanimate object or hurting it’s feelings. Hahaha ohhhh my.
Totally understand. I apologize to table corners and door frames when I run into them… *facepalm*
Live, Love, Read
And I saw “ow!” when I drop pencils and pens. I apologize to my books when I drop them. Hahaha oh man, we need to have a conversation about this. =)
(First of all, I love that you have two Gilmore Girls GIFs here (but let’s be honest, how do you talk about books without adding Rory GIFs???)
Secondly, I always read these posts and feel like you are in my brain. (It’s the “ARE WE THE SAME PERSON” thing all over again!)
Thirdly, speaking of book sniffing, have you seen this Paper Passions perfume? It smells like a book, Laura. Just wanted to make sure you knew that such a thing existed.
ALSO THAT LIBRARY. ❤
It’s funny — when googling for bookish gifs, one will inevitably find a Gilmore Girls give somewhere in the top 10 results haha.
I AM YOU AND YOU ARE ME AND WE ARE MEETING SOON YAY.
Um, I haven’t seen that perfume, and you can bet I’m going to be sniffing for it soon!
Haha! It’s great that you feel I’m super informed, but it’s probably because, like you, I have a FOMO!
I never EVER want to feel like I’m missing out on something! Hahaha especially in this industry!