Instead of participating in the Monthly Rewind meme, every three months I’ll update the world on my life from the previous season. Enjoy the Seasonal Rewind!
Through the Lens
The biggest and most exciting event in my life this season was that the Beau proposed in Syros, Greece! Our choir (which my parents sing in as well) went to Syros for an annual music festival and we had an unexpected evening free. We decided to make a date night of it, and he made reservations in a tavern made of glass that sat at the top of the island and overlooked Ermopouli, the capital of Syros and where we were staying. As the sun set, we watched the pier come alive and the lights all across the city turn on. We got some great pictures after dinner, and while we were waiting for the taxi we walked further up the hill, where he proposed. We got in the taxi to head back to our hotel, and just as I was saying I wanted to share the news with my parents, we saw them crossing the street! Got out, screamed, took pictures, went to the hotel where other choir members shouted with joy. Lots of champagne popped, lots of stories swapped, lots of toasts exchanged, and you can bet those choir ladies are already planning all sorts of parties for us, haha!
Yes, other big things happened outside of the engagement and traveling to Greece — my childhood friend and college roommate gave birth to a baby girl, and she is a miracle child. My friend and her husband have been trying to have children (and adopt as well!) for quite a while now, so this baby is such a gift for them! Tasha Suri also received THREE starred reviews for Empire of Sand (we’re three for three so far in trade reviews — Booklist, Kirkus, and Publishers Weekly), so you better get your pre-orders in for this amazing debut fantasy. Finally, I’ll be able to share a deal announcement in the coming weeks, as I’ve sold another client’s work!
Bookmarked in the Community
- “All Apologies…No More” @ Bookishly Boisterous — Stop feeling bad about spending money on books! Stop apologizing for going to the bookstore again and getting more books, even though you have plenty at home to read. Stop apologizing for going to the library and borrowing stacks of books you may not finish by the end of the checkout period. It’s okay.
- “Why I Re-Read” @ Bookshelf Fantasies — I don’t have much time to re-read, but when I do, I feel and have the same reasons as Lisa does in this post to re-read a favorite novel. Why do you re-read? And if you don’t…same question, why? Reading patterns are interesting!
- “Travel By Page: Behind Enemy Lines” @ Belle of the Literati — A twist on Kelly’s usual Adventures in the Great Wide Somewhere series, and perfect for WWII hist fic lovers, especially espionage. Check out these recommendations!
- “Living in a Small One-Bedroom Apartment with a Baby” @ Perpetual Page-Turner — Um, wow, Jamie and her husband were super creative and thoughtful when it came to making the most of their small home and baby daughter! I’m impressed…and saving this for possible future (like years in the future, please) reference.
- “Reaching a Blogging Milestone” @ So Obsessed With — First, congratulations to Hannah on 1K posts! Second, definitely take a look at this, because she makes some great points about blogging, adapting, and finding ways to keep the blog fresh, very her, and flexible without comparing to others’. I greatly admire her!
- “If We Were Having Mexican Margaritas” @ Bring My Books — Lindsey and I text nearly daily, so I’m aware how busy her life is (like seriously, holy crap, she deserves a margarita). On one hand, we have Hannah (above) who has managed to keep going with her blog; on the other, we have Lindsey who is struggling to maintain hers even though she wants to, because life happens and ya know, at the end of the day, you just want your favorite food/drink and your bed. Catch up with Lindsey and answer, what’s a hobby you wish you kept up with but are struggling to find the time to do? (Mine: scrapbooking. Not like stickers and cut-outs, but just plain putting photos in nice albums. I’m two years behind XD.)
Popular Posts on Scribbles
Ignoring my MSWL post, which gets hundreds of hits a month…(yay!)
- Just a Bit of Light Reading — The agony that is a bookworm packing for a long trip! And guess what? I only read and finished one book while away. Haha!!
- Book Review: Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine — GOOD because I love love love love love love love love love this book and it’s sitting on the shelves with Jane Eyre, where it belongs.
- Book Review: To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before — Not surprised at all, because of its debut on Netflix! I hope more readers become invested in this trilogy. I adore Lara Jean.
- Book Review: Crazy Rich Asians — Again, not surprised because of the movie! We need more books and movies and TV shows with representation of minority groups.
Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman ★★★★★
The Bird and the Blade by Megan Turner ★★★★★
Kings of the Wyld by Nicholas Eames ★★★★.5
Progress Update on Reading Challenges
Required Library Books: 10 / 17
The Passion of Dolssa || Big Little Lies || The Zookeeper’s Wife
Saga Volume 1 || The Night Bookmobile || Sweetbitter
The Psychopath Test || Planetfall || A Long Way Home
Ocean at the End of the Lane
Fun Library Books: 10 / 5
Mr. Churchill’s Secretary || Surprise Me || Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie
My Oxford Year || Malice at the Palace || The Bird and the Blade
Save the Date || Radio Girls || Kings of the Wyld
The Lost Queen
Marillier & Gabaldon Challenge: 0 / 8
The City of Brass || Spinning Silver || The Queens of Innis Lear
A Secret History of Witches || The Bird and the Blade
Kings of the Wyld
Between Two Fires || Mr Churchill’s Secretary || The Passion of Dolssa
Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie || The Clockmaker’s Daughter
Radio Girls || The Lost Queen
Rock My TBR: 10 / 16
Crazy Rich Asians || The Passion of Dolssa || The City of Brass
Between Two Fires || Now That You Mention It || Slightly South of Simple
The Queens of Innis Lear || Royals || China Rich Girlfriend
A Secret History of Witches
Overall Challenge: 34 / 50
On TV/Netflix: To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before is obviously going on my top favorite teen/romcom go-to movies, right up there with 10 Things I Hate About You. Guernsey was gorgeous and made me want to re-read the book again — I love Lily James. And of course, because fall is around the corner, I’m back on my Gilmore Girls marathon. The Beau and I need to catch up on GBBO’s newest season on Netflix, and the final season of Big Bang is starting, but it’s also football season so our TV is going to be working double-time now.
On Film: I saw Ocean’s 8 and loved it. Crazy Rich Asians was fan-freaking-tastic and I enjoyed every second of it. I hope book 2’s movie is in the works because I need more Astrid in my life!!! And one Sunday afternoon recently I binged the rest of Outlander season 3 on DVD in preparation for season 4 airing in November. Now to get started reading book 5…
In the Shopping Bag: I think I mentioned in previous rewinds that I don’t fit in over half my wardrobe and I’m slowly updating it to my new size. And if I haven’t, well, I am, which means the last few weeks required some fall shopping. Deals on ModCloth, LOFT, and Old Navy were in order, and now I can’t wait to wear my new tops, pants, and dresses! (Even though my wallet hates me.)
Miscellaneous: Planning the wedding! I thought my friends were kidding when they said the venue + catering takes up about half your budget. Nope. They weren’t.
Looking Toward the Future
Flowers, photographer, DJ, cake, and dress. Cross fingers I’ve accomplished at least two of those things by the next rewind! The Beau and I have made some headway on flowers, photographer, and DJ so far, which is great. Also, Thanksgiving and Christmas are coming up (!!!) and The Beau and I will be doing lots of traveling to Ohio, Nebraska, and Iowa. Oh, and of course, TASHA’S BOOK RELEASE IN NOVEMBER!!!!!
What have you been up to this season / this month? Any new obsessions or good reads or great music? Share some of your favorites here, and let me know if I should check out any great blog posts!
4 thoughts on “Flipping Through the Pages: Summer Rewind 2018”
Thanks for sharing my post lady!! Always appreciate it! I’m happy we made it work bc everyone thought we were crazy not moving to a bigger place sooner! It honestly was fine…at about a year I was ready for more space but other than that totally fine!
You had such an exciting summer!!!! Very happy for you!! ❤
Thank you, Jamie ❤
tasya @ the literary huntress
AHH CONGRATULATIONS! ❤ Weddings always make me excited, so I can't wait to see how yours would turn out ❤