Top Ten Tuesday, a concept started by The Broke and the Bookish, is a themed post that connects bloggers to bloggers, bloggers to readers, and readers to readers. Every Tuesday has a special topic, and this Tuesday is Top Ten All Time Favorite Books in X Genre, and I’ve chosen Fantasy.
There are so many books out there, and fantasy has such a broad spectrum in adult, young adult, and children’s fiction. Because I cannot claim to have read all the great fantasy books, I can only provide the 10 favorites that I’ve read.
1. Harry Potter — Come on, I shouldn’t have to explain the whole series
2. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe — really, the entire series, because the concept of stumbling into this magical world is so alluring
3. Seraphina — I’m not one for dragon stories, and yet this is enthralling
4. Discovery of Witches — *grabby hands*
5. Defiance — Dragons, backwards future society, high tech devices, and a kick-ass heroine, ohmygoshgimmemore
6. The Winter Witch — Set in Wales? Okay!
7. Daughter of Smoke and Bone — *GRABBY HANDS*
8. The Night Circus — Excuse me while I go cry
9. Shadowfell — Oh my gosh, Celtic lore? Yes, please…
10. The Beautiful and the Cursed — Gargoyles!
What are your favorite fantasy books? How about a few of your favorite books in a genre of your choice? Let’s share some recommendations with each other!
10 thoughts on “Top Ten Tuesday: Favorite Books in Fantasy”
haha your comments about the books cracked me up. This is a great list. I’m going to put a few on my to read list. You really have to read Mists of Avalon – it’s one of the best books I’ve ever read – from all genres.
Thanks for stopping by!
That’s what I keep hearing, and I’m a sucker for anything related to King Arthur.
Thank YOU for stopping by!
You chose some great books. I agree with you about Harry Potter and The Night Circus and The Winter Witch. The one fantasy series I’ve always loved is Patricia A. McKillip’s Harpist in the Wind series. They’re awesome books. I’m hoping to check out Seraphina the next time I go to the library…it’s the next fantasy book I want to read.
Hmmm, I haven’t heard of that series! What’s it about?
It’s about a prince named Morgan and a girl named Raederle and an enigmatic harpist named Deth; there are unanswered riddles, mysterious shape-shifters from the sea, an unfulfilled prophecy, and, of course, mystery and magic. McKillip’s writing is poetry. And I love her characters!
Fantasy is a favorite genre of mine. I had a cat named Harry Houdini Potter. I didn’t name him, the English teacher who rescued him did, but I left the name because it was awesome.
Have you read Mercedes Lackey, Simon R. Green, Anne McCaffrey, or Terry Pratchett? They’re a random sampling of some of my favorite fantasy authors.
What a fantastic name! Glad you kept it.
They are all on my to-read list. I’m still in that MG/YA fantasy, and soft adult fantasy, stage. Working my way up!
Pratchett does have a YA series that starts with Wee Free Men; Anne McCaffrey’s Dragonsong series; and Lackey one she co-writes with Rosemary Edgehill called the Shadow Grail series, if that helps.
We have two of the same books: A Discovery of Witches and The Night Circus. Loved Harry Potter too and the Winter Witch is on my TBR list.